In college, I had the opportunity to serve at a few soup kitchens in the area, and then served at one in downtown Miami on a trip to Florida. This was always something that I loved doing, since it pushed me out of my comfort zone, opened my eyes to those who are hurting and made me so thankful for what I have, which is wayyyy more than I need.
One of my goals for this school year was to have the kids volunteer somewhere in the area several times throughout the year. I was so thankful for my friend, Sarah, who found a kitchen in a nearby town for our families to help out at. We went for the first time this week!
Here are the kids, working hard to bag up food for the school kids to take home on Friday so they have something healthy to eat over the weekend. They filled 120 bags this week and had so much fun doing it!
After we get to know this place a bit, I'm hoping to take us back to serve a meal.
It was a good reminder that morning as the temperatures were below freezing, that there are people right here in our little community without a warm place to sleep or a hot meal to eat. Our pastor has been taking us through Habakkuk this month, which has some of my favorite verses:
Though the fig tree should not blossom,
nor fruit be on the vines,
the produce of the olive fail
and the fields yield no food,
the flock be cut off from the fold
and there be no herd in the stalls,
yet I will rejoice in the Lord;
I will take joy in the God of my salvation.
God, the Lord, is my strength;
he makes my feet like the deer's;
he makes me tread on my high places. (Habakkuk 3:17-19)
My prayer for our family is that no matter what our circumstances are, that we would be able to say these words, rejoice in the Lord and have joy because of what we have received in Jesus Christ, our Savior!
I'm also praying that this service opportunity puts in my kids' hearts the desire to serve and reach out to others as they grow older!
Like! So blessed by the opportunity! You did a great job summing it up!
ReplyDelete