We started off our school year with a trip to Washington, DC. Matt's work put a stop on travel for most of this year. We really missed traveling around the eastern part of the United States with Matt and getting to see so many educational places and sights. The kids (and I) have been spoiled! I think the lack of travel is one reason why this past winter seemed to drag on so long. I had a rough time from February through March, wondering why in the world we had made the choice to homeschool. By God's grace, we made it through that long stretch. I don't know if this winter will be any more exciting as far as travel goes, but hopefully my attitude will be better regardless of our circumstances!
This month, however, we did get to go on a trip. Matt had a meeting that everyone thought was important enough to spend travel funds on, so we got to take a 5 day trip to DC. Since this was our 3rd time there, it was fairly relaxed. We didn't feel like we had to be running to catch all of the sights!
On Thursday, Matt had meetings in the morning, so the kids and I went to Mount Vernon. The best thing about this house was the scenery! A hill up above the Potomac River...pretty much one of the best places to live, ever.
The kids got adventure guides to work through as we toured the grounds.
At the plantation, we got to try our hands at winnowing wheat. The girls were very dainty about it and got the hang of it quickly. Braden ended up with wheat and chaff all over himself the first try. Maddie just shakes her head at him:)
On Friday, we headed to Georgetown. I loved this area! All of the little shops, restaurants, architecture, and canals were so pretty and so much fun to visit. Unfortunately, it was a rainy day and we had no umbrellas. We were pretty wet after about an hour, so found a little restaurant to have lunch in & dry off.
The kids put up with our miles of walking on our DC trips. On the first DC trip, they moaned and complained. Now they just know that DC=walking. Here they are resting after our 1 mile walk from the metro to Georgetown.
While in Georgetown, I had to take Maddie to Georgetown Cupcake. Matt and I didn't try a cupcake (we went for lattes at a local coffee shop), but we swiped some of the frosting in order to give it a taste. Maddie was not happy about the frosting swipe!
The canal was so pretty! While the streets above were busy and bustling with people, along the canal was a completely quiet place. Had the rain not picked up, we could have walked for miles.
Although we love traveling, I had a bit of an adjustment this trip remembering that this was not vacation, but a business trip. Matt had things he had to do the first part of the week, and I had kind of forgotten that meant me being on my own with the kids. When we traveled each month, I was completely used to this and had everything well-planned out! Thankfully, Matt was patient with me while I adjusted and we ended up having a good time!
I have a few more pictures to sort through, so more will be coming!
No comments:
Post a Comment