Friday, September 7, 2012

Bible Lessons

One of my goals this year was to add in Bible to our school day.  I know, you would think this would be first priority in our first year of homeschooling, but it wasn't. We read the Bible at night as a family, and although I  really wanted to do a study with the kids, I never got around to it.  It was just another thing.

Matt kept encouraging me to do this, so this year, I made it my goal and we started with Bible the first day and have kept it going so far.

We are doing a study on the names of God...
I love this book! I've had it since last year and knew that I liked it, but like it even more now that we are in it.  God's names were something I've been interested in learning a bit about and this has been a great intro. It's really teaching the kids about God's character based on all of His many names.  This author has a new book out based on God's promises that I have ordered to do the second half of this year.

Another goal of mine has always been to memorize Scripture. I know the importance of this for fighting temptation and for meditating on His Word in any certain circumstance, but again, I just needed to get actually doing it.  

I came across the Fighter Verses Program on the Desiring God website, showed it to Matt, and we both thought it was a great way to get Scripture memorized.  Yes, we could easily have done this on our own, but that fact was, we weren't, so a program where it is already all laid out for me just works for us!  It is a 5 year program, comes with Scripture memory songs, and even an app for your iPod with quizzes and commentaries on the verses.

We are memorizing these as a family and are on our third week.  The kids love it and they love hearing Matt and I struggle to learn the verses.
We're excited about these things. Pray for us as we try to learn and hide Scripture in our hearts that we keep it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment