Thursday, September 6, 2012

Back To School

It took me quite awhile to get into the groove of school this year.  Maybe it was because I didn't have curriculum til about 1 week before we started. Maybe it was because of our trip to Maine right before school start up.  Maybe it was because of the busyness of the season.

Or maybe it was because this year, I knew what was ahead of me!

Although this year I haven't had time to do a ton of planning ahead like I had hoped, I have enjoyed the times we are down in the school room.  The thought of starting up this year was kind of dreadful to me, but now that we are in it, I'm enjoying it.

We made a few changes this year. These changes involved simplifying things, but also making those fewer things more challenging.  Most of the changes were for Maddie and Braden in the areas of Science and History.  I was leary of my planning at first...not wanting to plan too much for them, but wanting to push them in these areas. I've been pleasantly surprised that they've not complained about the extra work, but really seem to be enjoying it.

We added a supplement to our science curriculum that is more self-learning for them, which they needed. After I teach, they read a science text on their own. I've seen in talking to them that they are learning from this, so I'm anxious for Kinslee to do this, too, as soon as I get the book for her level.

For History, we are studying the Middle Ages and I added a history based writing program to supplement.  They have a writing assignment each week that correlates to what they are learning in History. This has really strengthened what I'm teaching them and I love seeing them apply what they've learned.

Other than those changes, I just have them reading....a lot. They read their novel for the week, then read history books based on the subjects we are learning in history.  Again, no complaints from them yet on the amount they are reading, so I'm thrilled about that!

Maddie and Braden are both doing a bit more math than they were last year,to hopefully gain more mastery as they learn.  This has not even caused too much complaint, since especially Maddie doesn't like math that much!

Kinslee is half way through her 2nd grade math book, so we are taking a day each week to work on multiplication and mastery of flash cards. I don't want to go so fast that she misses something.  But she is a good little math student.  She is actually the easiest to teach.  She's a fast learner.  The only thing I'm slightly frustrated about with her is her spelling. When we do spelling lessons, she gets quite big words completely correct, but in her everyday writing, she has a spelling block and forgets how to spell everything.  I know it will come....hopefully!

I'm still loving this choice we made, even though the start of school was hard.  We're getting in the groove and hoping to stay in the groove!
Our first field trip of the year...to the Zoo!

The baby tigers...the reason for our visit! Soooo cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment