We had a cool weather week while in Virginia, but one day called for 70 and sunny. We headed to First Landing State Park, where the members of the Virginia Company first landed before heading to settle Jamestown. Our goal here was to see the ocean.
I ended up parking at the wrong spot and we hiked about 3 miles to try to see the ocean but never saw it. I was glad we made the mistake though, because the forest was beautiful!
There were objects from the Powhatan Indian villages along our path.
We finally decided our path was not leading us to the ocean, so we drove to a new spot, and within 2 minutes of walking found what we were looking for!
All along this beach were hundreds of horseshoe crab shells from their molting back in August.
I think this one was the biggest we saw!
The kids walked along the ocean and collected rocks, which I was thankful for. We are starting to study rocks/minerals in science and they needed some cool rocks for an identification project. We couldn't have found these types of rocks anywhere near home!
They desperately wanted me to get my feet wet. I had been chilled all week and told them the sun needed to come out before I touched the ocean. About 5 minutes before we were done with our walk, the sun came out and it finally resembled something around 70 degrees! We got hit with a cold wave right when Braden snapped the picture:)

So fun! That ocean can be soooo cold! I love it when God turns our mistakes into blessings!
ReplyDelete