Hmmm….so what have we been up to the past month?
I’d say we’ve been up to everything yet nothing! Nothing
special, but we’ve been busy. We have
focused this month on school, which has been nice. It is my goal each school
year to push pretty hard the first three quarters so when the weather breaks
after winter we can enjoy the sunshine a bit on nice days. We’ve almost made it there. The kids have
pretty much completed their yearly reports.
I had them each report on something related to our cruise this
year. Maddie studied coral reef
ecosystems, Braden studied Belize, and Kinslee did a report on different types
of boats. I always dread doing these
reports because it is such a huge task and takes so much work from me.
(Wow..that makes me sound like a pretty lazy teacher!) All of the hard work pays off, when I see
that Maddie could mostly do the report on her own this year. We’re getting there!
Another thing that has taken a lot of thought this month is
our schooling for next year. We want
Maddie to be able to participate in sports, which means a school change for us
and a decision on what we want her future schooling to look like. We can of course make a change in the future,
but for her sake, we’d like to not have to switch schools if we don’t have
to. We have decided to pull all three of
them from the charter school we are a part of and do straight homeschooling
this year. I am much more confident
about this now than I was 3 years ago.
Although we are part of a charter school this year, the only real
difference next year will be that we will have to pay for curriculum
ourselves. I didn’t really take
advantage of what the charter school had to offer previous years, so not much
will be missed there.
Our decision now is whether to have Maddie participate in
Northwestern (the public school she went to before) or Emmanuel Christian
School. We have met with NW and are setting up a meeting with Emmanuel. Right now, we are leaning towards Emmanuel
because they have more to offer us. They
will allow her to participate in sports and take just one class if she
desires. At NW, the only option she has
is to participate in sports and dances.
Ummm…I think I’ll pass on the junior high dances, thank you. So we’ll
see what we think of ECA once we meet with them, but that is where we’re
leaning. She’s going to be a busy runner for the next 7-8 months, but she is
excited!
Our hope is that Braden and Kinslee would also be able to do
any activities that ECA has to offer. Braden really wants to play basketball,
and they have a 6th grade team. Kinslee hates all sports and wants to start taking
ballet. As soon as I get around to
calling, I think we are going to let her try it. She and Braden have been putting on plays at
home the past month and in the privacy of our home, she is quite the little
actress! I don’t know if she’d act in public the way she does at home, but she
definitely has some drama in her. Maybe
ballet would let that come out a little bit!
In food blogging news…we’re coming up on our 1 year
anniversary for Tastes of Lizzy T’s.
We’ve started making a decent little amount of money, so we’re going to
sign on for another year. It is hard
sometimes because it really is a full-time job.
I’m either all-in or all-out with the blog, so Maddie and I work pretty
hard to make it a success. We’ve made our media kit this winter to send to
potential sponsors. We’ll see where we
get with that. If this year goes well, a
blogging conference may be in our future.
That’s where you go if you are serious about making it a job! I just
told Matt that I needed to hire a virtual assistant to do social media for
me. That is the part I despise the
most. It helps to grow the blog so much,
but it is a job that is never done! If I could just cook, write, do photography
and make lots of money, I’d be good! Unfortunately that’s not the way it works.
Well, I feel like I’ve updated you on our lives so far. As I said…not much exciting, but that’s life!
No comments:
Post a Comment