Thursday, July 10, 2014

DC Adventures

I didn't do the best job planning activites for the week in DC. We wanted to visit the Pentagon, but I was one day late in getting our security clearance in for tickets. We wanted to go up in the Washington Monument since it has just reopened, but let's face it. I'm not used to sight-seeing in DC during peak travel times. I'm totally spoiled in getting to do all of the popular activities during the school year.  Riding the metro at peak times to stand in line to possibly get tickets to go up in the monument all while it is 95 degrees outside was just too much work.  I was planning to take the kids to the National Arboretum, but thankfully as I was planning our day the evening before, I realized that the arboretum was closed the day we wanted to go.

Being in Alexandria, we were close to Arlington National Cemetery.  We saw this the first time we came to DC 3 years ago, but Kinslee doesn't remember any of it.  So we're starting over on the things we saw that first trip.  We spent a short time at ANC in the morning on Tuesday. It was blazing hot and Kinslee thought for sure she was going to melt, so we didn't stay long.  We saw the eternal flame and the changing of the guards. And I got brave and drove to the cemetery.  The only place I've driven to in DC was Mount Vernon, and that is because the metro didn't go close enough to it.  We did great though I'd definitely drive it again.  Being able to get in our cozy car after walking the cemetery and not cramming into a metro train was definitely worth the mental energy it took to navigate in the city.

I love the changing of the guards ceremony. I love any type of military ceremony, actually.  The precision always amazes me! We read up on the tomb guards at dinner that night. Their dedication to serving the fallen soldiers is humbling.


On Wednesday, Matt worked half a day. We switched hotels and travelled around to the northeast part of the city. We have always avoided driving in the city, but we took a wrong turn and ended up in downtown DC. I mean, right downtown.  We drove under the National Mall. Yes...Under! There's a whole Interstate under there that I never knew was there. And we came out right by the Capitol building.  It took double the time to get there, but was kind of neat to take a driving tour through the city.

We got to our new hotel, then decided to head back out to Great Falls Park.  I saw this listed on a Top 10 things to do in DC, looked up pictures and new I had to visit. Who knew this beautiful area was so close to the city! I felt like I was in a completely different area of the US.

Rocks and rushing water get me so excited. I just love it.  Matt said he was afraid to take me to the Grand Canyon seeing how excited I got over these rocks! It reminded both Matt and I of Maine and made us want to go back.

It was so beautiful!
Kinslee was not impressed.  I'm not exactly sure what her problem was, but I think she was party scared of the bridges, rushing water, and huge rocks.  Evidently she does not do well with heights. We did see huge turtles, deer and crayfish, so those helped to keep her interested.

Seriously so beautiful! I think this picture is going to make it on our travel gallery wall.




No comments:

Post a Comment