Sunday, November 30, 2014

Hot Chocolate 15K


 Two weeks ago, Matt, Maddie and I ran our longest race yet. 9.3 miles! Maddie and her friend decided they thought it would be fun to run a race for chocolate. Matt and I had thought about doing it last year, but couldn't, so we decided to join them for the race. 

The worst part about the race for me is the training. It takes so much time. And we really liked all going to the trail together to exercise. But I'm really glad that it's done and so that we can have our Sunday afternoons back. 

Race day was freezing. About 23°. Then it warmed up to about 30 degrees at the start of the race, and dropped back a couple degrees as we were running. It was snowing which made things beautiful. 

There were 20,000 people there for the race so it was busy, but it was a lot of fun and the actual running part wasn't that hard. And we got chocolate fondue at the end! What better reason to run?!

Because they were so many people, they put people in the corrals for different starting times. Maddie and Kaitlyn had an early starting time, but Matt and I were supposed to start half an hour later. It was so cold and I didn't want to wait for a later starting time. Matt and I decided to be rebels and sneak past the security guys standing at the entrance to the corral. We got brave enough to go in with Maddie and Kaitlyn, but I got stuck behind some people who cut in front of us. The next thing I know Matt, Maddie, and Kaitlyn are all in the corral ready to run and I was stuck on the outside. I had to wait until I saw a group of people going into the corral and just snuck in with them. 

In the end it didn't really matter. There were lots of people that were not in their correct corral. I was just glad to get moving more quickly than I thought I was going to get to.

Heading to the starting line. 
Let's get this race going! It's freezing!!



Maddie says a half marathon is next. I'm not so sure my old body can take it. But if it means a trip to Disney World, I might just do it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment