Monday, December 15, 2014

DC in December

We got to spend last week in DC with Matt! After a long weekend of Christmas Musical busy-ness, we took off and spent the week relaxing away from the hustle and bustle of it all. Well...not the hustle and bustle of traffic. We've always thought it would be fun to live near DC. This trip changed my mind. The traffic was terrible. It took forever to get to dinner each night. It didn't help that it was dark, cold, and generally not as pretty as it is in the spring and fall when we are normally there!

But we still had a great time. We drove to Charlottesville, VA for the first night. Kinslee ended up with the stomach flu and a fever through Tuesday.  Thankfully we were mostly travelling and hanging out at the hotel that day so it didn't matter too much. By Tuesday night she was feeling well enough to get out, so we headed to The Cheesecake Factory, our traditional business trip meal.

By Wednesday Kinslee was feeling well enough to go sight-seeing.  We got to go up in the Washington monument, the first time the kids had been up in it! Although it was cold and windy, the sun was shining and it was a pretty day.


While we were up in the monument, the guide reminded us that the National Christmas Tree was up.  On Thursday we headed to see that. I'll have to say that I expected more from the "National Christmas Tree", but it we can say we experienced it, anyway! The kids liked all of the trains running around the tree.

Thankful for kind strangers who take pictures of our family so I can be in a picture, too!


I was surprised to see a nativity set at the National Christmas Tree sight.  From everything I read on Facebook, I would've never guessed the capital of the United States would've had baby Jesus on their Christmas display.  But they did, and I have a picture to prove it!

These little kids were singing "Away in a Manger" and it was adorable. One of the little boys was talking about baby Jesus the whole time. So cute!

After the Christmas tree, we went to see the Lincoln Memorial.




Then we preceded to get lost as we were walking trying to find a metro station. My phone maps were not working and the battery was quickly dying. Thank the good Lord for the Washington monument that stands tall! We headed towards that and after over an hour of walking, found a metro station.

We drove all the way home Thursday night and got home at about midnight.  It only took me about three days to get over my tiredness. I'm getting old. But it was good to be home all day Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment