Friday, January 28, 2011

My Project For The Week

About 6 or 7 years ago, we bought a nice, oak dining room table. Why we did this when we had 2 kids under the age of 2 and were thinking of another one, I don't know. But we decided it was something we had to have, so we bought it.

This table has taken years of abuse from 3 children. It has served as a paint table, craft table, race track, catch all for anything that the kids need to empty their hands of. That's not to mention the amount of meals we've had on the table....over 6500 meals in the past 6 or 7 years! Think of all the fingers being wiped underneath the table (I won't tell you the amount of yuckiness built up under the table at Kinslee's spot!) I've had it in my mind to refinish the top of this table for at least a year. Matt was very skeptical...he thought that it would never look the same.

I decided last weekend that it was taking forever to scrub the food off since there was no finish left on top of the table. With Braden sick for 5 days and me stuck at home with him, it was the perfect time to undertake this task!

After some sanding, staining and about 5 layers of polyurethane, I had a new table top!! It is shiny and so easy to clean. Matt was impressed. The problem was then that my eyes looked at the table legs...milk and food splashes from who knows how long ago. So off I set on doing the same with the table legs. They now have 2 coats of fresh polyurethane on them.

Of course then, I looked at the grimy chairs. Have you ever really looked at the backs or seats of your chairs?? Yuck! Ours had quite the build-up on close inspection. So my project yesterday and today was working on cleaning up and refinishing the chairs. Matt just shakes his head and wonders how I get myself into these projects.

I, on the other hand, am very excited about our "new" table. It has served us so well over the years...it expands to fit up to 10 people, which I love filling up...but it is always nice to put it back down to the small size to fit our little family.

1 comment: