Thursday, February 17, 2011

New Room!

Last week while we were at the conference, Dad and a family friend that he works with busily worked on our room in the basement.  It has been in our future plans to put a room in the basement, but we decided to do this now instead of later.  The main reason for this is because we have made the huge decision of homeschooling the kids next year.  I suppose that deserves a whole post in itself some day, but we have really only begun sharing our decision, although our minds were pretty much made up by about November of last year. More to come on that some other day soon, but please pray for us. It's a big change, but we're really excited about it. I'm sure some of that excitement is my blindness to what this is really going to be like...but nonetheless, I'm excited!

So anyway, for now this new room is going to be our school room. The kids are thrilled beyond words to have a "one-room schoolhouse".  Although I was a little nervous at how it would look (it takes me awhile to get used to new things!), I instantly loved it!
 This is taken from the bottom of the stairs.  The door ahead is the new room.  Drywall still needs finishing, which we hope to have someone do soon.
 Finally, a ceiling!!  We've had a basement now for 9 years and this is our first ceiling. I love it!
This is the view from inside the room.  We have a nice, huge closet, so it can be a bedroom someday if needed.  It will be great for storage right now.

We have quite a bit of work left to do with finishing the drywall, painting, putting up the trim, etc. But I am thrilled that this was all done for us and that Matt doesn't have to worry about finding the time to do it!

Thank you, Dad and Dave!

3 comments:

  1. I have to agree--that's super exciting!

    I am looking forward to any future pots you share with us on your decision . . . an a mom/educator homeschooling is very attractive to me--especially in the primary grades. I love hearing others' perspectives on the subject!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a special gift to receive. I have wondered for a long time why you didn't homeschool. You will do a great job and you won't miss out on the pleasure of watching your kids learn. If I can help or encourage please let me know. Jenni Birch

    ReplyDelete