Sunday, March 13, 2011

♫♫ "I got my first real six string..."♫♫

I am home from church today with a sick boy and a recovering girl.  Kinslee seems to nearly be back to normal. Braden started yesterday with the same symptoms: fatigue and fever.  I think he is doing better today, too, so whatever this illness is, it is a fast mover!

Two weeks ago we bought a guitar.  Several years ago we bought a 3/4 size guitar for Braden. He has always expressed the desire to play, although at the time he was I think 5 and we couldn't find anyone to give a 5 year old lessons.  So his guitar has been pulled out when he feels like "rockin'" and he strums his heart out and doesn't worry about the chords! 

Matt decided that he wanted to learn to play the guitar (and I'd love to play, too!) so we went ahead and bought a guitar.  As we were waiting for this guitar to be delivered, Matt found a guitar app for his iPad...no need to learn chords!

This app actually sounds pretty good. We used it in youth group last week to sing "God of This City" by Chris Tomlin and the teens thought it was hilarious! They joined in singing though and we didn't sound half bad!

Since then, we've gotten the real guitar and a friend taught Matt 3 chords to work on, which I've been practicing, too.

Maddie has taken a liking to it and worked her way completely through the first kids lesson book. I have the second one ordered for her. She loves it and her "ear" for music carries over to the guitar.
Braden doesn't have the discipline to sit down and learn it himself, so we need to get him started on lessons this summer or next fall.  He still loves strumming, though!  And his air guitar and air drums are out quite often!

2 comments:

  1. What fun! Exciting to learn as a family! Love the guitar app!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! This sounds like a ton of fun! I want Steve to find the guitar app for his phone. Also very impressed by the music notes in your title. :)

    ReplyDelete