Monday, February 25, 2013

Take Aways

The Biblical Counseling Training Conference was a convicting, encouraging, exhausting and relaxing week all wrapped up in one! Matt and I were so thankful for the break away from work and teaching, but the amount of information you get in these 5 days can make you exhausted, too. The teaching was invaluable, though. We are still digesting everything, but here are a few of our favorite take-aways:

1. Pride is a huge factor in the perfectionistic-performance-driven person.  We are so devastated that we've fallen short because we think so highly of ourselves. When we say,"I can't forgive myself", we are discounting the Gospel. It is very freeing to be reminded that Christianity isn't a bunch of do's and don't's. Therefore, even our embarrassment, guilt, and pride that "I can't believe I would do something like that" needs to be turned into thankfulness that he already paid the price for us. 

2. I should not believe the lie that I should have unfulfilled longings. We must realize that we are all made to worship. There will be unfulfilled longings this side of heaven because we are made to long to be with him.  Our hope is a relationship with God so one day we can be with Him, but we're not with Him right now.  Our longings help us yearn for His coming even more. Loving God and loving others will bring the most satisfaction in this life, but not complete satisfaction. 

3. I never want to laugh at a sin that my Savior had to die for. -Matt Chandler

4. Be careful not to fall into a "worker-bee" mentality.  Worship should always trump work.  We need to fight for time to spend with the Savior.  In the midst of serving, make sure you are worshiping  Serving should flow out of worship. And...we need to learn to say "No" sometimes...even if it is a good thing, in order to keep our passion for Christ alive. Communion with Jesus is the highest priority.

5. The Christian life is like walking up a down escalator. If you stop, you won't stay in the same place!

6. If we are abiding in Christ, we're becoming more like Christ. We can't always be doing. We need to close the gap between the public and private persona.  Abiding in Christ leads to an authentic expression of Christ.

7.  We listened to two great sessions on parenting.  Emphasize relationship over the do's and don'ts of performance.  Kids need to know how important they are to me, but not because of what they do or don't do. The issue is their soul. There are "camel" issues that must be dealt with...don't get hung up on the "gnat" issues!  As I look over my notes, I see there was so much great information and reminders in these session that it is hard to list the best ones.  Another quote..."It is a manifestation of pride to compare your family or your parenting to that of others." If I do that I'm either envious, self-pitying, or self-judging, or comparing to make myself feel better.  Definitely something I struggle with and definitely all focused on myself!

We had great reminders all week of who we are in Christ, what really defines us, and reminders of God's grace working in our lives.  Matt and I are thankful for this training!

1 comment:

  1. I love # 3 the best!
    Then, close second is all of the others! Rated equally.

    I'm so proud of you all.
    I'm glad you got the time away.

    Love, Grandma Clark

    ReplyDelete