Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Food

I had to laugh when I saw this sign on a banana this morning.

This was written by Kinslee (which I was proud that she spelled everything right!)

We're a little protective of our fruits and veggies in this house right now.

Matt and I have been on a 30 day eating plan since right after our vacation.  It's called Whole30.  You can look it up to see all of the details, but basically you eat fresh fruits, veggies, meats and...well...that's about it.  No dairy, no sugar, no grains.  The month has actually gone pretty quickly. We have 2 more days to go.  

Although this eating plan hasn't been easy, we've seen the benefits. Matt has lost a decent amount of weight, has more energy, and has only had to use his inhaler twice this month, both after evenings where we were in a house with cats.  Normally, he uses his inhaler every day, and especially during wet weather (which we've had a bit of this month!), sneezing attacks, and exercise.  None of that has bothered him!  He is pretty excited about that and has realized that he needs to adopt this diet at least to some extent. 

I haven't seen quite as many benefits in me.  My skin is clearer and my finger nails are growing like crazy, and I think I just generally feel better, but for the most part, I have a hard time saying that not eating sugar is worth those benefits! This was my idea to do, and I definitely had a worse attitude about it than Matt did. He kept me going throughout the month.  So I plan to support him in whatever way he wants to continue so that he feels better.  

 We don't exactly know how to go back to "normal" eating now. We want to keep some of these healthy habits, so will see what that means.  It's hard and takes a lot of time when you basically can't have any store-bought dressings or sauces.  I've made my own spaghetti sauce, mayo, marinades, salad dressings, just so we could somewhat eat normally.  Matt does much better at creating this kind of food than I do.  He made us some crepes last Saturday with fruit inside that were great!  We're hoping to perfect some of those recipes and share them on the blog for the many other people out there who are trying to make it through their Whole30 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment